Saturday, October 9, 2010

Don't ask don't tell?

This has been a pretty hot button political issue lately. The military's don't ask don't tell policy about gay people openly serving in the military almost got repealed by the senate but the vote was blocked. It was an issue that really polarized the Republicans and the Democrats. This is one of those issues in which each side has some very valid points and i feel like nobody on either side calms down and remembers why the don't ask don't tell policy is there in the first place.

Gay rights isn't something that I spend much time thinking about because I really don't care that much to be honest. I'm not gay so I don't have a personal reason to care but I'm not homophobic either so I don't have any reason to fight against it. Of all political issues I'd have to say it ranks among the least important to me. However, because it's such a non-issue to me I think it's allowed me to see each argument clearly and make a pretty sound judgement on the issue.

This is, in a nutshell, what I think about the don't ask don't tell policy. It's already a fair compromise. Gays don't like it because they think they should be able to be themselves. Problem is that other people want to be themselves too. If gay people can be born gay, other people can be born a little weirded out by gay people and I don't think it's anything anyone needs to fight about. A gay person should be able to be themselves but a guy that's not gay shouldn't be made to strip naked and shower next to someone that he know's is attracted to his gender either, which is what happens in the military. Sure it's an inconvenience for gay's but it's an inconvenience for straight people if it's not there too. The compromise is don't ask don't tell. Everyone be themselves but don't go running your mouth about it. I don't know why everyone argues about this. The policy, even if it's not perfect, avoids more issues that it creates and is good for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment