Thursday, January 6, 2011

A thought about my childhood

I'm reading a book right now by Thomas Friedman titled "From Beirut to Jerusalem." The craziness of the middle east is interesting to read about but it's even more interesting to think critically about. As I flip through the pages I can barely wrap my head around how unreasonable people over there can be. Everyone is scared of everyone else and they use that fear to justify the most egregious acts the human mind can fathom. Whether it be the Syrian government leveling an entire city full of non-combatants to crush a burgeoning  rebellion or a small terrorist faction creating a chair with a scalding hot phallus shaped mechanism to do what you'd imagine a terrorist faction would do with such a chair. The atrocities that occur in the middle east are almost beyond imagination for a person raised in Arizona who has never seen or been scared of war. Almost beyond imagination until I remembered something from my childhood that made me see everyone over there as an unlucky version of myself.

I'm pretty sure I am capable of committing every crime committed in the middle east and maybe even worse. Maybe not now that I'm an adult but I remember a time during my childhood when my mind and convictions were still malleable. I can remember sitting in church hearing stories about how the Jews used to stone people for committing certain sins. I never told anyone and felt really guilty but I remember thinking about how much fun it would be to take part in stoning criminals. I imagined a line of people with a "bad guy" a little ways away and getting to pelt him with rocks until he died. Now that I'm older I can't even look at the screen during a movie when someone is getting hanged but there was a time when I could have gone the other way. I guarantee if the adults in my life during that time hadn't taught me the morals that I've come to accept and had instead chose to teach me in a way that a lot of children are brought up in the middle east, I'd fit in just fine over there which is a sad thought. It's sad because I know I'm no different than anyone else, I'm just lucky to have been born into a culture that is less violent than other places.

It's interesting how reading a book can lead me to realizations that were completely unintended by the author. I find that to be very common while reading books. Anyway, I don't really know what the point of this realization is. I guess it's just that if luck is the only thing that kept me from being a middle eastern terrorist than I really don't have the option of hating them. I can only feel sorry for them and try to promote peace through peaceful means.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observation. I grew up trying so badly to believe that we should be "tougher on criminals," but I always had this soft side that I couldn't shake. I grew up thinking compassion was for pansies and therefore I was, on some level, a pansy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as criminals go I think we should focus more on solutions instead of punishments. Solutions are more focused on, "How do we keep this from happening again?" Punishments are focussed on, "How can we make this guy's life miserable?" Not that solutions have to be easy. They'd just have to incorporate education and job skills along with a time out from society so that a person will have more options when they get out rather than just going back to the life they were living before incarceration.

    ReplyDelete