Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book Report - From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman

I finished this book a few weeks ago and thought it was very insightful. This was the first book I've ever read that I underlined and marked pages for content that I wanted to revisit at a later date. I thought I'd write a blog highlighting some of the things I learned while reading this book.

Page 6- "First, when it comes to discussing the middle east people go temporarily insane, so if you are planning on talking to an audience of more than two, you'd better have mastered the subject." I thought this was particularly enlightening since everyone has an opinion about the middle east but it's rare to find someone who actually knows a thing or two about what really goes on.

Page 38 - Talked about people that continued to live in Beirut during war time and how they coped. A psychologist that studied peoples coping mechanisms there found that those who were able to block out everything that was going on around them that was not under their control were in the best physical and mental health. I thought this was interesting and I think it applies to other people as well as those living in Beirut. If you can't do anything about it, don't worry about it.

Page 354 - The Israelites used a mask of law to persecute the Palestinians. It is easy to confuse "rule by law" with "rule of law." It struck me as insightful because I think the same thing is going on in the United States to deal with undocumented immigrants. We justify all kinds of injustices by pointing to the law and saying, "What part of illegal don't you understand?" Just because something has been made into law does not mean that it is right or just. It was interesting for me to see this tactic being used in a different part of the world.

Page 364 - "One aspect of the arrogance of power is that it presumes knowledge." I liked this quote...

Page 381 - "In many ways, it was Israel, through its repressive and humiliating treatment, which managed to give the Palestinians a common experience of bitterness to reinforce their historical and cultural ties and cement them together." I thought this quote was also very insightful because I think it happens all over the world and in peoples personal lives as well. In an attempt to make their country more secure, the Israelites oppressed and contained the Palestinians. Instead of making them more secure, what it did was make their enemy hate them with more zeal. I think this happens to people in their personal lives when they try to get even with people instead of just let things go.

Page 430 - "The very existence of Israel as a modern state is slightly mind-blowing." That's for sure.

Page 431 - Friedman talks about what he notices while reading newspapers and about how there seems to be a spotlight on the Jews. I thought it was really interesting to read about what a journalist sees between the lines that a layman like myself might never notice. In this example he talks about how an Israeli solder made the front page because he grabbed a Palestinian youth while a story about Iran and Iraq attacking each other with long range missiles got buried in the back. The content of reporting on the middle east seems to be a bit unbalanced. What can you really believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment