Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Report - The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne

I just finished this book yesterday and had mixed thoughts about it. I like Shane Claiborne but I don't always agree with his opinions. I felt like he was really good at diagnosing problems but his solutions seemed to lack substance. He would hit the nail on the head when he would talk about how the church is apathetic and numb but then his solution would be an idealistic form of communism. If Christians just woke up and decided to share everything the world would be a better place. Sure, but if everyone on welfare decided to stop collecting government checks and actually organize and start businesses the world would be a better place too. I'm not actually proposing the latter as a plan, I'm just saying that talking about unrealistic goals is just that, unrealistic.

In the book he went on and on about Gods heart for the poor, the early church and how Jesus lived his life. I agree with all of that but I don't see how the book is emulating Jesus. Jesus said to do your good deeds in secret, not write a book about every good deed you ever did. Also, I don't understand how you can grasp the concept of the Gospel being good news for the poor and then go and write a book to an audience of rich people. The book isn't good news for the poor. You can look at the cover which is made to look like cardboard and duck tape and see that it's not something the poor are going to be excited about. The already have cardboard and duck tape. The book is good news for the rich because it frees them from money and a boring life of comfort. But good news for the poor? I'm not so sure.

I like Claiborne for his passion and recognition of a broken world that needs something new. But I wouldn't be surprised if this book was nothing more than an attempt by a man struggling with pride to make a name for himself. It's supposed to be an irresistible revolution but it was written 5 or so years ago and I hadn't heard about it till now. Must be pretty resistible. It doesn't seem to have gained a huge following. At the end of the book there is a three page list of "communities" that he says are part of the irresistible "revolution." It's almost like he's taking credit for them but when you look closer you can see that they aren't anything new. The CCDA is listed and my church is a member of that and has been since before the book was ever published. Willow Creek Community Church is listed and in the book Shane describes this as being a mega-church that took all the crosses out and had American flags all over the place to be "seeker-sensitive." That can hardly be considered part of his "revolution" but he lists all these organizations and makes it look like he's started something unstoppable when I really don't think he's had much impact.

Anyway, although I had disagreements, I think I still enjoyed this book and benefited from it. I came away from it with a better understanding of some of the problems we face in the world and also more of a will to take up the cause of the poor and the needy even though it probably wont be in line with what Shane suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment